Cream ice is what it was called in the 17th century. Today, it is an all-time favourite, always loved and constantly being reinvented. This blog post will give you a quick guide on how to make homemade ice-cream that is delicious and easy to make. This simple recipe will take you through the process of making a custard based ice-cream, and not a cream based ice-cream. Are you asking why? Well, this is the reason: custard based ice-cream normally freezes with a smooth, rich and creamy texture, while cream based ice-cream becomes very solid and more icy than creamy. Today we opt for the creamy type, so let’s get started.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of full cream milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- You will need to beat four egg yolks and half a cup of sugar.
- Place one cup of full cream milk into a pot and bring to a medium heat. Don’t let it boil, just heat it until the edges start to bubble.
- Pour the hot milk into the egg mixture; make sure you pour it slowly and a little bit at a time to ensure you don’t cook the eggs. Constantly stir or whisk as you pour.
- Once combined, you need to pour the mixture back into the pot at a low heat. Tip! Do not boil the mixture as this will make your custard curdle. Constantly stir as the mixture starts to thicken. It should take a maximum of ten minutes to reach the right consistency.
- Now you need to chill the mixture, so pour it into a bowl and cover with cling film. Place it in the fridge until it is cool.
- Add one cup of heavy cream as well as two teaspoons of vanilla extract and stir.
- Place the mixture into an ice-cream maker to start the churning process. Churning is important as it starts the freezing process and creates a “soft-serve” consistency rather than a solid block. After the churning process, place the ice-cream into a container and freeze overnight.
This recipe is for a vanilla flavoured ice-cream. However, feel free to add flavours or ingredients such as nuts, cinnamon or even cocoa powder (for a chocolate flavoured ice-cream) if you want to be more creative with your flavours. There are no rules when it comes to flavouring, just choose what you like.
Hey presto! You have just made some homemade ice-cream. If you can make your own ice-cream… surely you can do anything.