The festive season is the time to relax, unwind… and take extra care to stay safe online. Because this is also the time when scammers are extra active in their nefarious attempts to part you from your hard-earned money.
Take this example. You receive an email message purporting to be from bidorbuy.co.za, asking you to log into your bidorbuy account.
When you click on the link provided in the email, you are taken to a website that looks like bidorbuy, but is not bidorbuy. The login details (username and password) you enter on that website are stolen by criminals and used to defraud you, as well as other bidorbuy users.
How to protect yourself against phishing attacks:
- Keep your bidorbuy password secret. Never disclose it to anyone and make sure to change it occasionally; bidorbuy will never ask you for this information.
- Regularly log into your bidorbuy account to monitor the activity.
- Before you click on a link in an email message purporting to come from bidorbuy, check the email header and the sender’s email address to make sure it is from @bidorbuy.co.za.
- After you click on a link in an email message purporting to come from bidorbuy, check the destination website address to make sure that it is bidorbuy.co.za. Alternatively, open your internet browser and type the address of the site, www.bidorbuy.co.za, making sure that the prefix is https// and that you see the little lock icon next to the website URL. Then proceed to log into your bidorbuy account.
- Use antivirus, antispam, and firewall software and keep your operating system and applications up-to-date.
- Do not respond to phishing emails. Simply delete them.
- If in any doubt, write to email@example.com or phone 087 350 0099.
Have a relaxing, joyous and safe online shopping festive season!